Tips for Dealing with Mold Damage
Mold is Dangerous!
Molds have the potential to cause real health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances called mycotoxins. Allergic reactions to mold can cause hay fever-type symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and red eyes. Mold can also cause attacks among asthma sufferers.
Because of these health risks, it’s important to deal with mold as quickly as possible and to do that you need to know what to do and what NOT to do.
What to Do
- Call in the professionals – Mold can spread rapidly throughout your home but dealing with it isn’t a DIY project. A professional mold mitigation company has the know-how and equipment to properly treat and eliminate mold.
- Stay out of the area – If you’ve discovered mold in a particular part of the house, keep everyone, including pets, out of the area until the mold is eliminated.
- Find the source of the mold and fix it – The key to preventing mold is moisture control. Once the mold is cleaned up, make sure that you’ve fixed whatever caused the moisture, be it a broken pipe, a leaking roof, a faulty toilet, or a dishwasher.
- Use a dehumidifier – As stated, moisture control is key. Use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the air.
- Isolate the area – Mold spores can be spread throughout your home via the HVAC system. If at all possible, shut off the system from the mold-affected area.
What Not to Do
- Don’t disturb the mold – Trying to remove the mold can cause it to spread. This is a risk to everyone in the household, so wait for the pros.
- Try not to sniff the mold – The smell associated with mold is the smell of dampness. Inhaling the mold can be detrimental to your health and the health of others in the house.
- Don’t bleach it – Using bleach won’t kill the mold, it will just make it appear to be gone, and the water used to dilute the chlorine can feed the mold.
- Don’t paint over it – Contrary to the marketing claims of some paints, paint doesn’t kill mold.
- Don’t blow air over the affected area – Using a fan to try to dry out the area can cause the mold to break apart and the fan can spread mold spores to other areas.
Where to Go for Help
As stated above, mold remediation is not a DIY job. The proper elimination of mold requires special techniques, cleaners, and equipment not available to the average homeowner. If you have discovered mold in your house, you need to act quickly by calling SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra. For over 40 years, SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra has been the trusted leader in the restoration industry, and we have the training and expertise to safely remove mold from your home. Our highly trained professionals are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to quickly respond to your call for help.
For additional information about the services we offer, visit our website or call us at 904-246-6118.