Can Air Duct Cleaning Help Allergies?
Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra when you need to ensure your air ducts are clean!
If you’re plagued by allergies, you’re not alone. More than 50 million people in the United States are affected by allergies each year, making it the sixth leading cause of chronic illness in the country. Exposure to allergens is not always within your control, since they’re often airborne. Keeping allergens out of your house, though, is a little bit more manageable.
Let’s first look at some common indoor allergens.
- Dust: Dust mites are in just about every home. They lurk in beds, upholstered furniture, and other fabric, eating the dead skin cells we shed and creating waste that triggers allergies.
- Mold: Very common in Florida, mold is often found in damp places like bathrooms and crawl spaces.
- Pet dander: Pets shed skin cells just like people do, and these discarded cells can trigger allergies.
- Pests: Cockroaches are common in Florida, and their waste, saliva, and discarded skin can trigger allergies. Rodent hair, dander, urine, and feces are all allergens too.
- Pollen: While you might think of pollen as an outdoor allergen, it travels easily into homes on clothes, shoes, and pets.
- Air Pollutants: Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are harmful gases given off by household cleaners, building materials, and furniture. Outdoor pollutants like smog can get into your home making indoor air up to five times as polluted as the air outside!
These allergens are common, but there are steps you can take to mitigate the issues they cause. Changing your air filters regularly, vacuuming frequently, eliminating clutter, using a dehumidifier, and taking measures to deter pests can all help. However, one of the best things you can do to help promote healthier indoor air is to have your air ducts professionally cleaned.
Once allergens are in your HVAC system, they can easily circulate through your home and trigger your allergies. Further, allergens aren’t the only contaminant that could be lurking in your ducts. Bacteria can grow and thrive there, and so can viruses, including the virus that causes COVID-19.
If you haven’t had professional duct cleaning services in the last five years, it’s time. In addition to improving your air quality and reducing allergens in your home, cleaning your ducts can eliminate odors and make your home easier to clean by lessening the dust in your home. Best of all, clean air ducts lead to greater HVAC energy efficiency. When dust and contaminants clog your air ducts, your home’s HVAC efficiency is reduced. Clean air ducts mean your system doesn’t have to work as hard, so it’s more efficient and will likely have a longer lifespan, which is particularly important here at the Beaches where the warm summer sun causes our HVAC systems to work on overdrive.
When you need air duct cleaning near the beaches around Jacksonville, FL, call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra. For 40 years, our locally-owned-and-operated business has served our community, making it “Like it never even happened,” through cleaning and restoration services. Whether you need commercial or residential cleanup, restoration, or mold remediation, call (904) 246-6118 or contact us through our website.
Commercial Mold Remediation
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra is here to help quickly resolve any mold damage when water damage has occurred
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra provides essential commercial mold remediation services and health conscious techniques.
Whether you operate a single facility or hundreds of commercial properties nationwide, commercial mold damage requires prompt action to reduce exposure to potential catastrophic health concerns and keep your business open and operating. Who can you trust to provide dependable services and information?
SERVPRO of The Beaches/Ponte Vedra technicians respond quickly, providing a full line of cleaning and mitigation services to help ensure a faster recovery. The Beaches team utilizes technology designed specifically to provide you and your place of business with efficient remediation needed to ensure the health and safety of your staff and clients.
What is mold? Why is it a concern in commercial properties?
Per the EPA, “Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed.”
Mold can spread quickly through your business if left untreated. SERVPRO can respond right away, working to first contain the infestation to help prevent its spread to other parts of the building. Next, we will begin the remediation process, working safely and effectively to manage the situation. We have the training, experience, and equipment to contain the mold infestation and restore everything back to its previous condition.
Mold can occur in many places. With even small leaks, moisture and water intrusions can lead to serious issues. Immediate and efficient mitigation is the only way to not lose hours of productivity and thousands of dollars in revenue and property damage.
Why SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra?
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra is professionally trained and certified by the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification.
Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technician
- Odor Control Technician
- Upholstery and Fabric Cleaning Technician
Every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate the “typical” process:
Step 1: Contact
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our specialist will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel.
Step 2: Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
SERVPRO will carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources.
Step 3: Mold Containment
We use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mold.
Step 4: Air Filtration
Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
Step 5: Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. SERVPRO uses antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, may be necessary to remediate heavy mold growth.
Step 6: Cleaning Contents and Belongings
SERVPRO cleans your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra today at 904-246-6118 for a quote on your commercial mold remediation project.
Click HERE for a full list of our commercial services.
Be 'Ready for Whatever Happens'
Hurricane Stats and Safety Tips:
The peak time of year for Storms, June -November.
Force, from 74-155+ miles per hour.
Best resources for safety information, ready.gov/hurricanes.
Cost of damage, for example, Hurricane Sandy caused nearly $62 billion in damage in the United States. Sandy is the nation's most expensive storm since hurricane Katrina, which caused $128 billion in damage (statistics provided by NOAA.
Flood Stats and Safety Resources:
The peak time of year, year-round threat in the US, most likely in the spring and fall for our region.
Cost of damage, according to floodsmart.gov, total flood insurance claims averaged $4 billion per year from 2003- 2012.
One of the best resources for safety information, floodsmart.gov has extremely helpful preparedness tips.
Wildfire Stats and Safety Resources:
The peak time of year, a year-round threat for Florida.
Acres burned, according to the National Interagency Fire Center, there were more than 63,000 wildfires that burned over 3.5 million acres in the United States in 2014. The cost of damage, more than $1.5 billion in 2014.
One of the best resources for safety information, check out Firewise USA.
Tornado Stats and Safety Resources:
The peak time of year, March- June, though tornadoes have been recorded every month of the year, in years past. Tornadoes can also occur in any state.
The best resource for safety information, www.ready.gov/tornadoes.
SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
Call us today for information about SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra's Emergency Ready Profile, 904-246-6118.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) will help ensure you and your business are "Ready for whatever happens."
In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your commercial facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including; Emergency Contact Information, Shut-off Valve Locations, and Priority Areas. The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download SERVPRO's free Ready Plan app to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
The ERP also establishes SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra as your preferred SERVPRO franchise in the event of a disaster. Having a plan in place helps minimize the amount of time your business is inactive following a disaster.
The ERP is a no-cost assessment that requires little time and can save you a lot of time and money in the future.
Cleaning Up After a Fire- The Right Way
Need an estimate for fire damage? Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra at (904) 246-6118.
Inspection and Pretesting
The SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra Professional pretests from the type of cleaning that will be appropriate for your type of fire damage, while inspecting the property to determine the extent of fire damage and the scope of cleaning needed, restoration, and repairs.
- The full extent of the smoke and fire damage. How many materials are affected by smoke or fire? What is the proper method for cleaning? Will your personal belongings need to be relocated while your house is restored? These are just a few of the decisions that must be made to get your property back "Like it never even happened."
- Unaffected areas - It can be vital to protect areas that were not affected by soot and odor before the damage spreads to these areas. It will save you money, and will also protect your valuables from secondary damage.
- What materials can be restored and what materials must be replaced. Are the smoke residues cleanable? Who is completing the inventory of items that are damaged beyond repair? Fire damage pretesting is vital. A complete inventory is invaluable! How long will the cleanup take? We'll let you know what to expect.
- The most effective cleaning methods. What procedures will restore the damaged materials?
Pretesting also allows the SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra Professional to focus on saving precious items or keepsakes on your behalf.
Once the fire damage mitigation begins, the Franchise Professional will keep you informed and answer your questions, all while working to help make the fire damage “Like it never even happened.”
Acting Quickly After a Disaster
When a disaster strikes, it is imperative to respond quickly in order to prevent further damages and complications. Fires, Mold infestations, and Floods from broken pipes overflow or heavy storms – all such disasters must be dealt with in a timely manner. If not handled immediately you could experience on or more of these issues:
- If water-damaged structures and contents are not dried out quickly and correctly, potential health risks can develop. Mold can begin to grow within the first 24 to 48 hours after the flood.
- Excessive water can cause: rusting in metals, corrosion in electronic components, cracking, splitting, or warping of furniture items, color bleeding or transfer in fabrics, furniture stains, and secondary damage to upholstery, drapery, clothing, wallpaper, photos, and papers.
- Fire or smoke damaged properties can also experience irreversible damage, regardless of the size of the fire. Soot residue is highly acidic and can pit or corrode the metal in doorknobs, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, etc. It can also etch glass in windows, mirrors, and cabinets, causing them to look soiled and cloudy. Moreover, plastics, appliances, fabrics, and vinyl windows can become discolored.
- The safety and security of your home can be compromised. Windows and doors may become weak and function improperly, wet materials may collapse and electrical installations and components can be a health hazard when they come in contact with water. Slips and falls are also potential dangers.
If you’re not sure how to act after experiencing water, fire, or mold problems in your home or business, contact SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra at 904-246-6118. We have a team of restoration professionals ready 24/7/365 to help you.
Check out our Facebook page, and like us to get additional information and storm tips.
IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration) Certified Firm
Contact the IICRC's local leader in cleaning and restoration, 904-246-6118.
The IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) is a certification and standard-setting non-profit organization for the inspection, cleaning and restoration industries.
Originally founded in 1972, the IICRC is recognized internationally as a knowledgeable industry voice and resource. There are currently more than 54,000 active certified technicians many with multiple certifications and nearly 6,000 Certified Firms around the world.
Not only is SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra an IICRC Certified Firm, but each one of our technicians, our marketing team, our owners, and our office staff are all individually certified. That way you know when you call us at 904-246-6118 or talk to one of our team members out in the field, that the person you are speaking with is knowledgeable in our industry. Education is important to our organization, and passing that knowledge on to you is the first step to making it "Like it never even happened."
New Year, New Beginnings
Each new year brings the opportunity for new beginnings! Make 2019 the year you resolve to be READY. SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra wants to help ensure you enjoy a safe and happy new year by helping you be prepared for anything the year may have in store.
Did you know, up to 50 percent of businesses that suffer a disaster may never reopen? Of the businesses that do survive a disaster, the overwhelming majority had an emergency preparedness plan in place. Let SERVPRO help you build an emergency preparedness plan for your property.
Make your resolution one that helps protect your business. Call SERVPRO of The Beaches/ Ponte Vedra today at 904-246-6118 to learn how we can get you "Ready for whatever happens" in the new year.
Protecting Your Property During Cold Weather
Cold weather can wreak havoc on your home and business if you're not properly prepared. To help prevent weather-related damages, consider taking the following precautions before winter weather hits.
- Check your property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather like heavy wind and rain can cause branches to fall.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to ensure they are in proper order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your building/ home, and leaves should be cleared away.
- Clean chimneys and exhaust systems to ensure they are free of debris.
- Test gas lines if they have been dormant to ensure they are in good working order with no leaks.
- Inspect your property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Make sure all exterior doors and windows have weather stripping.
Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra at 904-246-6118 if your home or business has suffered damage due to winter weather.
Real Value, Packaged in Green
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra provides consistent service and reliable information.
Whether you operate a single facility or hundreds of commercial properties nationwide, a fire or water damage requires prompt action to reduce loss and costly downtime. Who can you trust to provide dependable services and information?
SERVPRO of The Beaches/Ponte Vedra technicians respond quickly, providing a full line of cleaning and mitigation services to help ensure a faster recovery. The Beaches team utilizes technology designed specifically to provide you and your insurance company with quick, dependable information necessary to make more informed decisions faster, saving both time and money.
Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra today at 904-246-6118 for a quote on mitigating mold, water damage, fire damage, or cleaning for your commercial property.
Click HERE for a full list of our commercial services.