Post Construction Cleanup
Are you remodeling your home or business? Once the construction crew is finished, there’s still a lot of work to do before the building is safe and habitable. Who is responsible for post-construction cleanup, and what steps are involved? Should you hire a professional for the job or do the work yourself? Find the answers to your questions here.
Whose Job Is It to Clean Up After Construction?
In general, the construction company is responsible for the initial cleanup. This includes clearing away waste materials and construction debris and ensuring the area is safe. Any additional cleaning required is up to the home or business owner, who may choose to complete the job themselves or hire a post-construction cleanup service.
Construction Cleaning Checklist
Your newly remodeled or restored building is sure to meet your needs for many years to come. But first, you must remove any lingering debris the construction company left behind. Here is the step-by-step process of cleaning up the inside and outside of a building after construction.
Interior Post-Construction Cleanup
- Dust and vacuum all surfaces, including ceilings, walls, floors, doors, windowsills, countertops, light fixtures, and furniture. For the best results, use a vacuum fitted with a HEPA filter.
- Wipe down dusted surfaces with disinfecting wipes to remove germs and grime.
- Clean carpets if any stains remain after vacuuming. Consider professional carpet cleaning to help achieve the desired outcome.
- Clean windows with glass cleaner and paper towels.
- Re-hang drapes and blinds if you removed them prior to construction, or remove them now for professional cleaning.
- Wipe out cabinets and drawers, which may have sawdust, loose screws, and other construction residue.
- Clean the ductwork to remove drywall dust, sawdust, and lingering debris from your air vents. This task requires professional ductwork cleaning equipment.
Exterior Post-Construction Cleanup
- Remove litter from the yard, garage, and other areas outside the building.
- Pressure wash exterior walls, fences, and gates to remove lingering dirt, dust, and debris.
- Spray windows with a garden hose.
- Clean the gutters and inspect them for signs of damage.
- Sweep or hose down hardscaped surfaces, including sidewalks, driveways, patios, and decks.
When to Call a Professional for Cleanup Services
Post-construction cleaning can be overwhelming, but it’s not always easy to tell when to call a professional for help. Here are a few signs you could benefit from handing over the task to a qualified cleanup crew:
- You don’t have the time or resources to clean up the building yourself.
- The construction company left excessive dust, debris, or other materials behind.
- Safety and sanitization are top priorities, whether for personal reasons or to adhere to local standards.
Are you in need of professional post-construction cleanup? SERVPRO of Jacksonville Beach/Ponte Vedra is here to help. We provide 24/7 cleanup, restoration, and construction services to customers in Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach, and the Ponte Vedra area. With our help, your home or business will look pristine following your recent remodeling or restoration project. Call us today at (904) 246-6118 to learn more about our cleaning services.